The Sacred Heart Basilica is located in the Forest Hill section of Newark, New Jeresey. Groundbeaking began in January 1898. The church was finally dedicated on October 19, 1954. In 1995 Pope John Paul II celebrated evening prayers, and the cathedral was elevated to a basilica. Concerts are held in the Basilica throughout the year. The church has the largest pipe organ ever built by Schantz Organ Company.